Today is my sons 10th birthday! Things have been less than perfect lately preventing me from really getting on here and posting anything but for the special occasion I thought maybe I would just hop on and share an awesome recipe with you!
If you go to the store and purchase a cake mix for strawberry flavored cake, you get a little red #40, etc. so I did a search for the perfect recipe for a strawberry cake without the food coloring. This version is not gluten free (although I imagine you could use your favorite all purpose gluten-free mix and tweak slightly) and the original version is not dairy free, so I give you my modified dye free, dairy free, soy free strawberry cake:
- For the strawberry puree:
- 2 16 oz. packages of no-sugar-added frozen strawberries(thawed)
- 1-2 tsp sugar (optional)
- When you thaw the berries you should have some juices, pour the berries into a strainer and collect the juice. This can be used to help give your cake a pinker color!
For the cake:
- 1/4 cup Rice Dream(or other non-dairy substitute) milk, at room temperature
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature (4 whole eggs can be substituted)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cup cake flour, sifted
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 12 Tbsp Earth Balance dairy and soy free butter, at room temp
1. Place 2 16 oz. bags frozen strawberries in a food processor or blender and puree.
2. Reserve 3/4 cup puree for the cake.
3. Keep leftover puree for frosting and to fill cake if you like.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare two 8- or 9-inch pans: use grease/flour combination and coat pans).
5. In small bowl, combine 3/4 cup puree, 1/4 cup rice dream milk, egg, pure vanilla and mix with fork until well blended. If using a mixer add this to your stand mixer(you can mix by hand), add sifted flour, sugar, aluminum free baking powder and salt and mix to combine. Continue beating at slow speed and add Earth Balance soy/dairy free butter. Mix until combined and resembling moist crumbs.
6. Add wet ingredients and beat at medium speed for about 1 minute or until full and evenly combined.
7. Divide the batter evenly among the pans and smooth tops.
8. Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (time will vary). Let cakes rest in pan for about 10 minutes and turn out onto wire racks. Let cakes cool completely (about 2 hours).
(this recipe is a modified version from http://www.jasonandshawnda.com/foodiebride/archives/1088 ”
The following is a modified version of http://www.marthastewart.com/316838/sprinkles-strawberry-frosting
1 cup Earth Balance dairy/soy free Butter
4 cups of sifted powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
3 TBS. leftover puree
Cream butter until smooth, add powdered sugar slowly until combined
Add vanilla and puree and mix until JUST blended
We did have an issue with the frosting melting at room temperature. Next time I will try a little more powdered sugar to see if it holds together better. Any suggestions for this would be great!
And VOILA! You now have a homemade strawberry cake and strawberry frosting without the dyes or dairy and soy! I hope you enjoy this as much as we did!